20 Thornton Ave
Auburn, NY 13021
Mon - Fri  8-4
(315) 253-6249
Fax: (315) 252-0399

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply for housing?
In order to apply for housing, you will have to fill out an application. You can download an application or request that an application be mailed to you from this website. You can call the office between 8am and 4pm to request that an application be mailed to you, or you can stop by our main office at 20 Thornton Avenue, Auburn, NY to pick up an application.
Who is eligible for housing?
In order to be eligible for public housing, you must satisfy the following requirements:
  1. You must qualify as a low-income household. Please refer to the pages for each individual property to see whether or not you qualify. Income limits are adjusted annually.
  2. The Head of Household must have at least 6 months of independent rental history. Living with friends or relatives DOES NOT count as independent rental history.
  3. The Head of Household must be at least 18 years of age or older.
  4. You must fill out an application completely and honestly; if you falsify your rental history, you must wait two years to reapply. If you have applied in the past and been denied due to an unfavorable rental reference, you must wait two years to reapply.
  5. You must have the ability to pay base rent if you wish to live at Melone Village or Brogan Manor.
  6. Applications will not be accepted from applicants who owe the Auburn Housing Authority or another Public Housing Authority money. We will accept your application once you pay what you owe.
Is there an application fee?
Can I get an apartment if I have a felony?
If you honestly report your criminal history on your application, then you may be eligible. Sex offenders are not eligible. Applicants with a history of violent or drug-related felonies are also not eligible. Applicants with an extensive or recent criminal history may not be admitted depending on the seriousness of the crime. If you are still unsure if you qualify, it’s always best to apply and find out.
How long will it take to get an apartment?
The application process can take up to 6 weeks. If your application is accepted and we have a unit available, you will be admitted within one to three weeks. If your application is accepted and we do not have units available, you will be placed on a wait list. We currently have vacancies.
How much is the rent?
Rents at Olympia Terrace and Melone Village are based on income.
Rent at Melone Village will not exceed 33% of a household’s gross annual income (including utilities). A household's rent is likely to fall somewhere in between the Minimum Rent and Maximum Rent established for each type of unit. Income limits can be found on the Melone Village Property Page.
Monthly Rents (including utilities) at Melone Village are as follows:
Size Minimum Rent Maximum Rent
Efficiency $152 $393
1 Bedroom $166 $467
2 Bedroom $207 $570
3 Bedroom $228 $719
4 Bedroom $251 $794
Rent at Olympia Terrace will not exceed 30% of a household’s gross annual income. Income limits for Olympia Terrace can be found on the Olympia Terrace Property Page.
Rents at Brogan Manor are NOT based on income.
Monthly Rents (including utilities) at Brogan Manor are as follows:
2 Bedroom $535
3 Bedroom $664
4 Bedroom $739
Income limits for Brogan Manor can be found on the Brogan Manor Property Page.
Are utilities included in the rent?
Utilties at Melone Village and Brogan Manor are included in the rent. Excess utility charges may apply if you have a washer, dryer, air conditioner, additional refrigerator or freezer, or aquarium.
Utilities at Olympia Terrace are not included in the rent, but they are still based on income. Residents of Olympia Terrace must contact NYSEG and have the utilities set up in their own names. Residents will then receive a “utility allowance” that is deducted from their rent payment.
Can I have a pet?
Residents of Melone Village and Brogan Manor are permitted to have fish tanks (aquariums may incur an excess utility charge) or birds (birds must be caged). Cats, dogs, and ferrets are NOT permitted at Melone Village or Brogan Manor.
Residents of Olympia Terrace must adhere to a very strict Pet Policy. Residents are permitted to have one cat OR one fish bowl or tank OR one cage with no more than two birds. Residents are allowed to have one type of pet. Dogs are NOT permitted at Olympia Terrace. All pets must be registered with management. Cats require a $300 security deposit. Cat owners are required to pay a fee of $5 per month. ALL cats must be spayed or neutered.
What are the differences between Melone Village, Brogan Manor, and Olympia Terrace?
Melone Village is regulated by the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR). Brogan Manor is regulated by the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) and HOME Programs. Olympia Terrace, the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) program, and the Shelter Plus Care program are regulated and subsidized by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Where is the office located? Where are the apartments located?
Our office is located at 20 Thornton Avenue, Auburn, NY, 13021.
Melone Village is also located at 20 Thornton Avenue, Auburn, NY, 13021.
Brogan Manor and Olympia Terrace are located on Olympia Avenue, Auburn, NY, 13021. Olympia Avenue is off of State Street.
Can I rent an apartment if I am single?
Do you have any handicap accessible apartments?
Olympia Terrace has 3 handicap accessible units. Brogan Manor has 5 handicap accessible units and 5 audio-visual equipped units.
What size units are available at each complex?
Melone Village has efficiencies, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom, and 4-bedroom apartments. Brogan Manor has 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom, and 4-bedroom apartments. Olympia Terrace has 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom apartments.
Is it safe to live in the complexes?
Safety is our top priority; all of our properties are safe. Each tenant is given the phone number of our Community Policing Officer at the time of move-in. During the daytime hours, we have staff on sight at both complexes. We work closely with the Auburn Police Department to ensure that tenants receive services in a timely manner and to ensure that a police presence is maintained in and around our complexes. Calls for service have dropped dramatically since the late-1990’s.
Does the Auburn Housing Authority provide emergency shelter/housing?
The Auburn Housing Authority does not provide emergency shelter. All applicants must go through the application process and meet the eligibility requirements in order to be admitted.